Thursday, May 14, 2009

10 fondest childhood memories


Well, this post is definitely inspired by the Honest Scrap Award, that I received from my dear friend Mrunalini, for being a regular reader of her blog. The funda is that the recipient of the award has to write '10 honest facts about themselves'. Then he/she needs to forward it to 7 other people.

Well, since I have a clear promise to myself , that I won't to write about my current personal life or crib about any frustration on my blog. I would write about 10 fondest memories from my childhood. I don't know how many of you had similar experiences to relate.
  1. I was the local tyre running champion in my neighbourhood. The game is simple. You get a old tyre and use a stick and run the tyre over a distance. I had the advantage of owning a bigger and thinner Luna tyre that my uncle had gifted me once, while all other friends had smaller and fatter Bajaj Scooter tyre, the most prevalent one those days. But I was never good in the game of marbles (goli) and the marble slab game, where you had a clear a pile of matchbox covers.

  2. I have been trying to whistle and blow a bubble gum since childhood. I still can’t whistle, but I learnt to blow the gum, instinctively one Saturday afternoon in my class IX, while playing a cricket match

  3. Rs 10 per month pocket money that I used to get, was spent mostly on lunch time treats which included Rs 1 Kismet Chocolate, 50 ps Lolly (pepsi), Rs 2 Yummies chips and the Rs 4 rubber ball to play cricket

  4. I owned this pink coloured tricycle, which I drove for quite a long time. There after it was gifted to a cousin, who later gifted it to another of his cousin. I believe it still exists, may be in an attic somewhere

  5. I collected WWF memorabilia during those few years, when the craze had reached feverish pitch among all kids. These included splash cards and a big poster of Bret Hitman Hart, that adorned wall of my room for quite sometime.

  6. I have watched every quiz show that used to play on Doordarshan – Quiz time, Parliamentary quiz, BQC etc. Most of them enjoyed competing against my grandpa and the one who answers most questions had to gift the other a chocolate. I have also watched every Hindi movie played on doordarshan on Friday night and Saturday night.

  7. Any house construction work in the street was the season of joy for all neighbourhood kids. You got a huge pile of sand to play and make sand castles, dig rat holes (Kappe Goodu in Kannada). You return home all dirty and you are ordered to enter through the backdoor straight into the shower.

  8. I never had much writing ability. But in rare moments of creativity, I had written poems, short as well as long ones. Though I never filed them, I found out recently that my mom had penned down each one of them in her own little personal diary, without my knowledge

  9. I was the shortest guy in my class until class X. So much so that, My mom managed to buy a half ticket for me in Bangalore city buses until I was 14, while the legal age for half ticket is only 12.

  10. I registered for Bungee jumping once, but chickened out at the last minute, when my fear of heights finally got to me. My sister, 5 years younger to me, barely 12 then, completed the jump instead of me, ensured that I became the butt of jokes in my family

Added on demand ..

My pleasure to award the honest scrap award to some of my favourite bloggers

Manan : Dude! You were damn witty/funny in ur writing sometime ago. What happened now?. I hope thats provocative enough :)

Vimal : Now stop acting pricey and restart blogging :-). I hope to see the distinctive KADHAL flavour in your list of 10 things.

Tanvi : Madam, you may pick 10 of your favourite paragraphs from books your read. I am sure, most of us would not have even heard of the author, let alone the book :)

Mahesh : You can list 10 favourite stock picks for the month or may be 10 banks most likely fail in FY10 :)

Siby : I would like to read his 10 most perverted jokes. Guruji, please accept this humble request to enlighten our ignorant minds :-)

Wayne : Good boy Wayne would like to tell us, about some not so good mischiefs he has played in life. I hope there are 10 of them, or else you can cook up some stories as fillers

Kasturi : Not a blogger yet. This is just the right impetus you need to start your blog, that should definitely impress your special someone :)

6 comments:

  1. nice :) childhood memories are always so special that they transport the person reading abt them into childhood :)
    lol @ shortest guy.. cant quite imagine that!
    Arent you supposed to be playing cricket instead of building sand castles...wasnt sand castles a girl thing ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. btw, you havent tagged another seven here...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cricket .. I used to play all the time .. rest of the time was spent doing the other 10 things .. You have already the tagged the 7 people I would have tagged .. so will leave it at that :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Not fair my friend, go ahead and tag some others. Doesn't necessarily need to be anyone all of us know, c mon man, pass the tag around.

    Cheers........Jam

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOL :) This is so funny esp the local tyre running competition :), I enjoyed reading it. Good old memories. :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Anita, Nice to see your here :)

    ReplyDelete