Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Mobile Story 2050

We all know how mobile phones have impacted and continues to improve our lives in a big way. Much has been written about converged device of the future, with mobile phones at the centre as the universal control device. Here is what I want my mobile phone to do for me in 2050.


In addition to the regular app TODO list, I want to add an application WISH LIST. Let me cite a few examples, how I imagine it to work.

1) I wish I want to watch a certain movie ABC, while dabbling with boring paper work at office. My mobile would communicate wireless to my home automation hub, Which would direct the set top box to place a download with the service provider's server. Well, the service provider's server would place a search with YouTube or bit torrent, find the AVI file, download it and stream it across to the set top box. Now based on my synchronised calender schedule, my mobile would plan to screen the movie.



2) You are feeling lonely and you wish you could spend some time with your best buddies .. Well, my mobile device now is equipped with voice analyser and SMS analyser. It has mined all communication (voice & data) for key words which indicate your mood/state of mind. It also has a record of people, with whom you communicated most, when you felt similar during the previous times. The mobile phone decides to act on his own, and messages your identified buddies, indicating that you are in mood for a chat. If none of them respond, you get a automated call from a AI software called ELIZA, which is trained to counsel lonely individuals, while interpreting your voice/data responses.



3) On the way back from a long day's work, you look forward to a warm welcome at home.Well, GPS of today is the spatial alarm of the future. You receive reminders based on location. The moment you reach within 5 km radius of your home, the google latitude app on the home automation server detects the your impending arrival and activates AC to cool the living room, communicates with the microwave to warm the food and the coffee maker to keep the warm cuppa ready in time for your reaching home



4) You are constantly worried about the health of your loved ones. You wish , there could be a solution. Watches of the future would come with pulse rate monitors, placed along the strap. These would have blue tooth dongles to communicate with a mobile device on certain events. These mobile devices can periodically update a central mobile device, which should help you keep track of health of your aged parents and little kids. In case of an emergency like a heart attack, the pulse rate monitor can directly connect with the defibrillator to address first aid. Or may be, the mobile device based on current location can check with the nearest available ambulances and even place an request for immediate arrival, while providing your current location coordinates automatically.



5) I am at a conference and like to build a good network of business contacts. Now when, LATITUDE is integrated with LINKEDIN, the moment I enter the conference arena, I will get the directory of all attendees in the area. I would use a filtering criteria to shortlist relevant sales targets. Now, the blue tooth application would alarm me, whenever I come in proximity of any of the people in the target list. Immediately, LINKEDIN would provide me with profile detail of the client including conversation starters. if connected to the target through a common acquaintance, you know, whom to ask for an introduction, if he/she is around.

Well .. I am not much of a techie these days .. May be some of these apps are already available in US or elsewhere .. Well .. I would definitely want to have them.

If you have such ideas at some corner of your mind, you are welcome to share it in the comments section :)

3 comments:

  1. this post is over my head coz i dont relate to anything even remotely related to technology :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Save this post... you might need it in a future patent lawsuit against a tech giant :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Ishu : hehe .. From my internet research .. most of these ideas are already a part of R & D efforts at major tech giants

    @ Mrunal : How modest of you :)

    ReplyDelete