Monday, May 25, 2009

The long & short of it

First, I owe an explanation for the previous post. Well, it was an attempt to write a short & witty post. A touch of Hamlet & hence the Polonius quote,might have been a bit over the top, nevermind. More importantly, for me it was reflection of Facebook/Twitter addiction, that is so omnipresent. Verbosity seems to have gone truly out of fashion. Broadcasting tweets and facebook 'what is on your mind? one liners are definitely the in-thing'. Advantages are many. Well, you dont need to comment, you can simply like a status. If I am not wrong, 99% of blog post comments just mean ' I like what you have written' sort of stuff. Nice & Easy!

Now that should leave me, a 2 month old blogger feeling completely outdated. Yes & No. Yes, coz I am quite tempted to quit this sudden blogging craze and I am just looking for an excuse. No, Coz a blog has so much more to offer. But how ?. Well, to a sizeable bunch of friends I know, blog is good source of alternate reading during office hours.
1) If you have plenty of time to kill, 2) your company IT policy doesnt allow orkut/facebook access, 3) short one liners just arent enough meat for reading pleasure you are looking for.
Verbosity is definitely in, Brevity is definitely out. It also reminds me of a Tam friend's reason for preferring 'The Hindu' over TOI. Given the same level of information content, the sheer verbosity of a Hindu article makes it more satisfying to read.

Second reason, you can't post pictures in tweets/status msgs. If you do upload an album, you can't storyboard them into a nice read. Blogs score again!.

Third & the most important reason for me, It's about addressing a select audience. Readers would visit your blog, purely out of their own self interest. Status messages might seem like forcing your point of view/thought on an unintended audience.

Blogs I have seen, over a period of time tend to get biased towards one particular area of interest/subject. Book reviews, Movie reviews, Football/Music blogs, Stock market views among others. In my personal opinion, what brings me back to a blog, is sheer anticipation of what topic next ?. As long the blog has personal touch/opinion/viewpoint, I am sure I would keep coming back, however mundane/trivial some of the posts might be.

Personally, the day I get repetitive & have little new/different to write about, I would like to quit.

No comments:

Post a Comment